Saturday 24 September 2011

Reflection - DAY ONE - What is AT?

I really didn't know what I was getting myself into when I signed up for this course.  I know that I'm not as "tech savvy" as some, but I thought that this would be a relevant and applicable course.  The first activity introduced us to an APP called Pictello.  I DO NOT use APPS nor do I know much about them.  This appeared VERY easy to use and, better still, I could see how this could be incorporated into the classroom.   Students who have adaptations that allow for oral assessment or scribes could definitely use this APP to develop their academic independence.

The defining moment of the course came next...... Assistive Technology is NOT IT!  It is ACCESS to a TASK and helps IMPROVE PERFORMANCE!  That tidbit of information is something that will stay with me forever :)

Our look at a class with varying needs and challenges was definitely an eye opener. The first thing that I quickly realized was that I had NO IDEA the depth of AT!! I didn't know some...in fact, many, of these technologies existed -- cushions, grips, weighted vest and pencils....

I never really thought about the dynamic aspect of AT and how it needs to be constantly and consistently monitored -- not only as it relates to the student in general, but also as it relates to the TASK.  The drawback to AT, as with everything, is money! These technologies are extremely important but equally as pricey.  It really is a shame that quest for equality is so expensive.

I can see just how vital assistive technology is for student's with disabilities.  The examples discussed in class really helped to drive home that point.  After seeing the success stories of students located within Nova Scotia, I was reminded of a course I took this summer, Disability Studies, taught by Dr. Janet Duncan.  It was Tyler's story that really hit home for me and took me back to this summer.  During my summer course, we were exposed to NUMBEROUS stories of people with disabilities and how they are overcoming the barriers and the stigma.  We watched a video entitled, "Wretches and Jabberers", which was about two men with autism who used assitive technology to communicate with the world.  Without this technology, they were seen as not having the ability or intelligence to learn -- they were unteachable  Until the time in which they were given the ability to communicate through AT, they were viewed as being incompetent.  I could see that same label being applied to Tyler IF he did not have assistive technology to help the rest of the world see him for who he REALLY is -- able, intelligent, determined and competent.

I've come to realize that AT is as much for the student who requires it as it is for those who don't.  It allows others to see these students for who they really are inside.